Thursday, December 11, 2008

Guilty Addiction

Here is a little known fact about me that I'm finally admitting publicly . . . I am addicted to lists . . . there, I said it. I LOVE making lists (to-do lists, grocery lists, wish lists, gift lists, packing lists, event planning lists, you name it!) and then crossing things off them. I will even write things down on my list that I have either completed already or am almost done with just so I can put that nice big slash through it! I also put silly things on my to-do lists like, "brush teeth" just so I can mark it off. Like, DUH!!! Everyone brushes their teeth without needing reminded. I have rewritten lists that have become crumpled and dog-eared so I can have a nice fresh new list. I even look at my husband's list and slash things on his that are already done. And yes, I am also the author of his to-do list or "honey-do" list as they say. Isn't that terrible? He hasn't really given me much grief about his to-do list; he is such a nice husband. He just does the stuff on the list. I also love list stationary. They have them in the dollar section at Target and I am ALWAYS tempted to buy more; the kind that have a little magnet on the back so you can stick it to your fridge. But then I remember that I have 3 of them in my nightstand drawer at home (plus, "list stationary" was not on my list), so pull myself away or I buy them for gifts. I used to like post-it notes, but they have become too small for my lists. I also have list codes. For example, "A" means urgent, "B" means get done tomorrow, not urgent, and "C" on my grocery list means I have a coupon for it.
1. I know, I know, this is a serious problem.
2. Is there any help for list addicts?
3. If so, please let me know ASAP! (A)
4. Brush teeth (A)

4 comments:

Laura Siegrist said...

Anna, there is nothing wrong with your list addiction. i could not help but laugh at your description of yourself, b/c i do the same things!!! i write things on there that i've already done just so i can cross it off...and i buy the magnet ones at target and a.c. moore (seasonally) all the time! ahhh!!! that is too funny! now i don't have a code, but i do put a C by the ones i have a coupon for too! and sometimes i like to draw a little box next to it so i can check it instead of crossing. and i rewrite lists that are messy or crumpled up. wow.

like i said, nothing wrong with it. it helps us housewives keep organized. it's a stress management! way to be transparent though!

Anna said...

Hahaha, thank you so much for making me feel better about myself =) Its nice to know I'm not the only one. If only they had an ALA (Addicted to Lists Anonymous), then we could join! Anyway, that is a good idea about making the little boxes to check instead of slashing. I will have to try that! LOL!

Wanderer101 said...

Embrace it,that is my best advice. Just because there are those out there that do not understand the joy of lists, we shall overcome1!
I love making lists, and I put the smallest things on mine, I have come to understand the great joy of crossing things off my lists.

Sarah Burke said...

hi anna! glad to find you too. i am a terrible blogger but i like reading other people's! :)