Monday, January 12, 2009

Bread for Thought

I love bread. My mom used to laugh at me when I was little because almost every night I would ask if I could please just have one piece of bread and some water before bed. She said I sounded like a refugee. You have no idea how disappointed I was when I found out bread isn't all that good for you, at least eating it at the rate I was. Well my refugee days are over, but I've moved on to bigger and better things . . . namely Panera Bread. It is one of my favorite spots. Ask my husband who has had to endure eating with me at this "chic restaurant" (as he calls it) for the past 6 years. He would much rather eat some steak, but is instead reduced to froo-froo soups, salads, and sammies which of course come with a steaming hot mouthwatering loaf of fresh baked bread. Speaking of bread, I've been ruminating on John 6:34,

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty . . ."
This naturally caught my attention and made made me think. Bread in those times was the sustenance of life. It was essential for survival, not a carb no-no like our current culture. There was no appetizer, main course and desert, it was just bread and maybe some wine to drink. That's it kids! That's what's for dinner! Bread gives satisfaction, life and energy (oh baby does it ever. Just try not eating for a couple days). Of course bread is a metaphor. Jesus is the bread of life because He brings us life through faith in Him! A life that is radically changed into something better than you could ever ask for or imagine. He is salvation to those who want it. What is your salvation? We all have one. Is it success? Is it money? Notoriety? Education? Family or friends? Is it that house with a white picket fence? Anything other than the true life-giving bread from heaven is like eating dirt. It doesn't taste good (unless you don't know any better, but that is a whole other topic), diminishes the quality of your life and will not satisfy. Do you want a life lived fully with freedom and peace, adventure and purpose? Feast on the delectable, super tasty bread from heaven, Jesus Christ, and you will never hunger again.
. . . I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10
Munch on that for a bit and in the meantime, I'm headed to Panera Bread!

4 comments:

Song, Christina, Jonathan, and HannahKate said...

Hi Anna, This is Christina. Thank you so much for praying for HannahKate. This is a very excited time in our life, but also very trying. Thank you for sharing your heart on your blog. I know my salvation is secure, but your thoughts do help me in ways to share with others around me. It sure is a small world to come in contact with each other through our mothers. God Bless.

Lyndon Koskey said...

Anna

I just want to say thank you for the thoughts! I am sorry I haven't stayed in touch through the years. I enjoy looking on here every now and then to see what your family has been up to. I defintely have to agree with you that Panera Bread is a most enjoyable place to eat. Just remind your husband that you can get free internet access there to help eating there more! I pray that God may continue to bless your mission field.

In Christ,
Lyndon, Anessa, Alethea, and Zoe Koskey

Anna said...

Lyndon! good to hear from you! Glad to know your are among us Panera Bread addicts =) So when are you going to join Facebook? =) Hope all is well with you and your beautiful family!

Carmen said...

Beautiful Blog Anna! Thanks for leaving a comment on A Bug's Life!

shalom aleichem!