Friday, September 19, 2008

Don't Judge Too Quickly

We were on a mission; a mission that took us deep into the indigent neighborhoods of Atlantic City. If you've never been to Atlantic City, you know that although the touristy section is extremely posh, there are also some areas that you should avoid. Those are the areas that we were headed directly to the day my sister and I were on a mission to find recao (the secret ingredient in any good Puerto Rican dish). Recao is awfully hard to find in the north. After stopping at about 4 stores, we FINALLY found it . . . the beloved recao leaves. As we were walking to the car, my sister was explaining to me how we wouldn't want to hang around there at night when a guy (stereotypical for that neighborhood) yells, "Hey, you guys dropped something!" He was holding up a piece of paper that looked about the size of an envelope. Right away, all my red flags went up. I couldn't remember bringing anything with me like that. I quickly looked to see if we had everything we came with. It appeared we did, so I gave the guy a dirty look and yelled, "Whatever!" We got into the car and sped off.
Fast forward about 2 hours. We were in a grocery store in Ocean City when my sister says, "Do you have the grocery list? I can't find it." It then dawned on me that the envelope-sized paper was exactly the same color and size of our grocery list and the poor saint in Atlantic City was just trying to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

o that is too funny. but hey, you were playing it safe, which is good too. but that is a crack up!